Friday, February 15, 2008

At Peace!

I started reading a book on neurobiology recently and the author has written a few lines in the introduction which summarizes very nicely my view of the discussion on the previous post I made. I quote:

"I am skeptical of science's presumption of objectivity and definitiveness. I have a difficult time seeing scientific results, especially in neurobiology, as anything but provisional approximations, to be enjoyed for a while and discarded as soon as better accounts become available. But skepticism about the current reach of science, especially as it concerns the mind, does not imply diminished enthusiasm for the attempt to improve the provisional approximations.

Perhaps the complexity of the human mind is such that the solution to the problem can never be known because of our inherent limitations. Perhaps we should not even talk about a problem, at all, and speak instead of a mystery, drawing on a distinction between questions that can be approached suitably by science and questions that are likely to elude science forever. But much as I have sympathy for those who cannot imagine how we might unravel the mystery (they have been dubbed "mysterians"), and those who think it is knowable but would be disappointed if the explanation were to rely on something already known, I do believe more often than not, that we will come to know."

What he says about the human mind can be equated to nature which is far more complex than the human mind it created. I don't believe that any literary work today can even come close to defining what nature is and how it works, let alone being a definitive guide. I have been here only for 28 measly years, I cannot be at peace with anything. The day i say that, I have closed my mind to new "approximations". I don't want to be at peace and hope to be this way for the entire time I am here. I want to learn and I want to explore. There is just so much out there that I need to know before I can say a piece of knowledge is useless.

No comments: